College Review Specialist
Matriculate’s mission is to empower high-achieving, low-income high school students to make the leap to our best colleges. Our vision is that one day all the best students in America will have access to and be supported in the best colleges—regardless of their socio-economic status or background—which will give them a unique opportunity to change the trajectory of their own lives and the lives of their families.
Matriculate leverages peer-to-peer relationships and networks to empower high-achieving, low-income high school students to enroll in our best colleges. We train talented college students at top institutions to provide the information, guidance, and support that these high school students need to apply to, gain admission to, and excel at leading schools.
College List Review Specialists play a critical short-term role in supporting the quality of the Matriculate program. Review Specialists ensure that individual High School Fellows (HSFs) are on track to successfully apply to colleges that appropriately match their academic profile and social and financial fit, by reviewing their student profile and final college list. This review also supports consistency across the program and provides additional guidance at a critical juncture in the college process.
College List Review Specialists are unpaid volunteers, who do not receive compensation or benefits for their contribution to Matriculate.
The Review Specialists will:
- Help forever change the lives of low-income, high-achieving high school students
- Help build a sustainable, equitable solution to college access in America by leveraging near-peer advising to assist low-income students apply to colleges that fit their ability
- Provide a valuable and essential service to students in their college application process
Ensure the quality of college lists for at least 20 HSFs by:
- Attending a virtual training to better understand the work we do at Matriculate, the college list review process and your role
- Reading a short profile of each assigned HSF and assessing the college selections of each HSF against the checklist of criteria provided by Matriculate and the student’s interests
- Writing and submitting an online feedback form to the HSF about their college list - offering comments, college suggestions and advice
- Identifying any red flags and alerting Matriculate staff
August - October:
- Minimum of 10 hours (30 minutes per HSF) to review and provide feedback on college lists
- 10 minutes per week to check in with Matriculate staff (as needed)
- Note: Between mid-August and early-October, we will assign you a batch of students each week and will base the number of students based on the availability you report on the application.
Matriculate is looking for people who:
- Are committed to and passionate about the Matriculate mission
- Are able to commit at least 10 hours between August and October
- Have experience advising students through the college list building process
To be considered for this role, please submit the College Review Specialist Application and upload your resume HERE by August 15th, 2018. Contact Julia Perkins, Student Experience Program Manager, with any questions or concerns at (914) 979-2188 or firstname.lastname@example.org